I actually saw this episode of The Chew and once I saw the ingredients in this dish and saw it being prepared, I knew I had to dry it! It has easily turned in to one of my favorite chicken recipes! I have made it over and over again and it’s a hit every time. I have used a whole chicken cut up into pieces, legs and thighs, and whole bone in breasts. Each time it comes out amazing! I have also added olives (black or kalamata) which adds an amazing salty flavor to it.
After placing all of the ingredients in the casserole dish, make the dressing.
Then, pour the dressing over the casserole dish.
I baked it for about an hour and a half, basting it in between so it didn’t dry out.
- 3½-4 pound chicken legs and thighs (or any bone in chicken)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (halved)
- 1 medium onion (cut into chunks - to match the artichokes) (you can also use red onion)
- 1 pound white button mushrooms (halved or quartered)
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup red wine (I always omit this)
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- ½ can or jar of black olives if desired
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place the chicken skin side up, in a casserole dish. Place the artichoke hearts, onion and mushrooms over the top. In a small mixing bowl, combine mustard, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, wine, dried spices, salt and pepper and pour over the chicken.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1½ hours, basting every ½ hour.